- 21-60 aged, urban areas, USA, 1963 - 64
- N = 2787
- Non Response:
- ± 20%, Attrition ± 30%
Repeated interviews at home using highly structured questionnaires
- Authors's label
- Job advancement
- Our Classification
- 4-item index of closed questions on:
- whether current job is the best one
- raise in pay during past year
- promotion during past year and chances for advancement
Observed Relation with Happiness
Not computed for summed ABS.
Index of Positive Affects: (PA)
- Among white-collar workers:
Positive relationship (05) among both workers
of high occupational prestige and workers of
medium or low prestige.
- Among blue-collar workers:
Positive relationship (05) among workers of
high or medium occupational prestige only.
Not among workers of low prestige.
Index of Negative Affects: (NA)
- Slightly negative (ns) among blue-collar
workers of low occupational prestige only.
- No relationships among the other occupational
Affect level expressed in average ridits (RT). Ridit analysis compares distribution in category with distribution in total sample. RT above .50 means relative high level RT below .50 relative low level.