- 21-60 aged, urban areas, USA, 1963 - 64
- N = 2787
- Non Response
- ± 20%, Attrition ± 30%
Repeated interviews at home using highly structured questionnaires
- Authors's Label
- Physical symptoms
- Our Classification
- Data T1. Not computed for summed ABS.
- 55-item index of closed questions on general aches and pains, headaches, dizziness, rapid heart beat, and hands sweating and feeling damp and clammy; during the past few weeks
(items from Stouffer et al., 1950).
Observed Relation with Happiness
- Males : G= +.00
- Females: G= -.02
Index of Negative Affects:
- Males : G= +.47
- Females: G= +.45
- Stronger among those who are healthy than
among those who are sick.
- Unaffected by expecting a nervous breakdown.