Gurin et al. (1960): study US 1957
- Gurin, G.; Feld, S.; Veroff, J.
- Americans View their Mental Health. A Nationwide Interview Survey.
- Basic Books, 1960, New York, USA ( Reprint in 1980, Arno Press, New York, USA)
- 21+ aged, general public, USA,1957
- N = 2460
- Non Response:
- 13%; 5% not at home, 8% refusals
Structured interview at home
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Selfreport on single question:
Taken all together, how would you say things are these days? Would you say that you are....?
3 very happy
2 pretty happy
1 not too happy
- Author's label:
- Observed distribution
- 1: 11%, 2: 54%, 3: 35% (total 100%)
- Summary Statistics
- On original range 1 - 3 On range 0-10
- 2.24 7.32
- 0.63 1.65