Gallup (2008a): study JM 2006 /2
- Gallup World View.
- The Gallup Organization, 2008, New York, USA
- 15+ aged, general public, Jamaica, 2006
- Survey name:
- Probability multi-stage random
- N = 1000
- Non Response:
- Interview: face-to-face
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Selfreport on 14 questions
Did you experience the following feelings during A LOT OF THE DAY yesterday? How about..
B physical pain
Now please think about YESTERDAY, from the morning until the end of the day. Think of where you were, what you were doing and how you felt.
I Did you feel well rested yesterday?
J Did you smile or laugh a lot yesterday?
K Did you learn or do something interesting yesterday?
L Would you like to have more days just like yesterday?
M Were you proud of something you did yesterday?
N Were you treated with respect all day yesterday?
- no answer, don't know
- Average % positive affect = (A+H+I+J+K+L+M+N)/8
- Average % negative affect = (B+C+D+E+F+G)/6
- Affect Balance = Average % positive affect - Average % negative affect
These questions do not measure hedonic level of affect of individual persons adequately, since yesterday's mood does not always correspond with typical average mood. Yet these questions can be used for measuring hedonic level in agregates, such as nations, since individual variations balance out in big samples.
- Average % positive affect: 74%, Average % negative affect: 18%, Affect Balance Score: 56%
- Observed distribution:
- On original range -100 - 100 On range 0-10