Study Alexander (1969): study US 1964
- Schizophrenic males non-hospitalized, Monroe County, New York, USA, 1964-65
- N = 178
- Non Response
- 28%, most of them patients'or family member refusal
Analysis of case registers and clinical interviews with family members
- Authors's Label
- Affect balance
- Our Classification
- Happiness measure type A-AB
- Selfreport on 10 questions:
We are interested in how people are feeling these days. The following items describe some of the ways people feel at different times. Please indicate how often you felt each way during the last week
A Pleased about having accomplished something.
B That things were going my way.
C Proud because someone complimented me on something I
D Particularly excited or interested in something I had done.
E On top of the world.
F Upset because someone criticized you
G So restless that you could not sit long in a chair
I Very lonely or remote from other people
J Depressed or very unhappy
0 not at all
2 several times
- Positive Affect Score (PAS): Average A to E
- Negative Affect Score (NAS): Average F to J
- Affect Balance Score (AB): PAS minus NAS
Possible range: -25 to +25
Name : Bradburn's "Affected Balance Scale' (modified version)
Observed Relation with Happiness
Index of Positive Affects: _c = +.30; G = +.42
Index of Negative Affects: _c = -.29; G = -.42
positive affect: d = +.24
negative affect: d = -.25