- 60+ aged, retirees, Los Angeles County, USA, 1971
- N = 71
- Non Response:
- Authors's Label
- Supported self- disclosure
- Our Classification
- Related specification variables
- Number of important life areas for which support for self-disclosure from significant others is perceived. Those persons one considers to be close and with whom one can feel free and talk about personal things were considered as 'significant others'.
Measurement by means of Supported Self-
Disclosure Index (see Jourard & Lasakow, 1958), modified to include 38 content areas of concern to the elderly, including changes in social relations with age, status and role changes, bodily changes, self-feelings, financial and material problems, and health problems.
Observed Relation with Happiness
When controlled for age : rpc = +.08 (ns)
When controlled for role loss : rpc = +.17
- Low role loss : r = +.36 (01)
- Very high role loss : r = -.23 (ns)