Zautra et al. (1977): study US Salt Lake County, Utah 1975
- Zautra, A.J.; Beier, E.; Cappel, L.
- The Dimension of Life Quality in a Community.
- American Journal of Community Psychology, 1977, Vol. 5, 85 - 97
- 18+ aged, general public, Salt Lake County, USA, 1973-74
- Survey name
- Unnamed study
- Probability multistage stratified area sample
- N = 454
- Non Response
interview at home, with closed and open ended questions
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Self report on single question, asked twice in interview:
How do you feel about your life as a whole......?
5 mostly satisfied
3 mostly dissatisfied
Summation: arithmetic mean
Name: Andrews & Withey's "Delighted-Terrible Scale" (original version)
Also known as Lehman's 'Global life satisfaction'
- Author's label:
- Life evaluation
- Error estimates:
- Reliability: To minimize interviewer ratings biases, 25 experienced interviewers were selected by use of several selection procedures. To test for potential biases interviewer ratingscales were developed and included in the survey. First, the interviewer had to count the frequency of eye-contact between him and the respondent during the interview. Second, the interviewer had to rate the respondent on his friendliness,openness, anger, overall mood, activity and health on a 5 points scale.The ratings showed, in general, high internal consistency but were unrelated to questions of quality of life. Interviewer rating biases did not affect reports of life quality from the perspective of this measure.