Yeo et al. (1987): study US 1979
- Yeo, G.; Crapo, L.; Ingram, L.; Skurnick, J.
- Effects of Geriatric Clinic on Functional Health and Well-Being of Elders.
- Journal of Gerontology, 1987, Vol. 42, 252 - 258
- 65+ aged, patients, ambulatory medical center, followed 18 mth, California, USA, 198?
- N = 139
- Non Response:
- Refusal 15.91%, unable 6.17%, to 1st question. 11.36%, to 2nd question. 21.43%
- Interview: face-to-face
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Selfreport on 10 questions:
During the past few weeks, did you ever feel ....? (yes/no)
A Particularly excited or interested in something?
B So restless that you couldn't sit long in a chair?
C Proud because someone complimented you on something
you had done?
D Very lonely or remote from other people?
E Pleased about having accomplished something?
G On top of the world?
H Depressed or very unhappy?
I That things were going your way?
J Upset because someone criticized you?
Answer options and scoring:
yes = 1
no = 0
-Positive Affect Score (PAS): A+C+E+G+I
-Negative Affect Score (NAS): B+D+F+H+J
-Affect Balance Score (ABS): PAS minus NAS
Possible range: -5 to +5
Name: Bradburn's 'Affect Balance Scale' (standard version)
- Author's label:
- Psychological well-being
- Theoretical range: 0 (very unhappy) to 10 (very happy)
T1: M = 7.30 Ms'= 8.65
T2: M = 7.07 Ms'= 8.54
- Error estimates:
- Reliability: Overtime correlation T1 - T2: geriatric clinic r'=+.34 general clinic r'=.31 Validity: