White et al. (1999): study US 1999
- White, H.; Clipp, E.; McConnell, E.
- Surfing the Net in Later Life: A Review of the Literature and Pilot Study of Computer Use and Quality of Life .
- The Journal of Applied Gerontology, 1999, Vol. 18, 358 - 378
- 65+ aged, residents of a retirement community, USA, 1999
- Survey name:
- Unnamed study
- Non-probability self-selected
- N = 23
- Non Response:
A combination of selfreports and telephone interviews at T1 (before the study), T2 (after 2 weeks of training), and T3 after 5 months
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Selfreport on 10 questions:
During the past few weeks, did you ever feel ....? (yes/no)
A Particularly excited or interested in something?
B So restless that you couldn't sit long in a chair?
C Proud because someone complimented you on something
you had done?
D Very lonely or remote from other people?
E Pleased about having accomplished something?
G On top of the world?
H Depressed or very unhappy?
I That things were going your way?
J Upset because someone criticized you?
Answer options and scoring:
yes = 1
no = 0
-Positive Affect Score (PAS): A+C+E+G+I
-Negative Affect Score (NAS): B+D+F+H+J
-Affect Balance Score (ABS): PAS minus NAS
Possible range: -5 to +5
Name: Bradburn's 'Affect Balance Scale' (standard version)
- Author's label:
- Affect Balance Scale
- The authors transformed the original -5 to +5 scale to 0-10
Weighed mean computed by WDH-team
- Page in publication:
- Observed distribution
- 1: 0%, 2: 0%
- Summary Statistics
- On original range -5 - 5 On range 0-10
Ability to use internet
Guidance of vulnerable people (social work)