Thompson et al. (1960): study US 1952
- Thompson, W.E.; Kosa, J.; Streib, G.F.
- The Effect of Retirement on Personal Adjustment: A Panel Analysis.
- Journal of Gerontology, 1960, Vol. 15, 165 - 169
- 60+ aged, employed at start, followed 2 years, USA, 1952-54
- Non-probability purposive sample
- N = 1559
- Non Response:
Structured interview, followed by 2 mailed questionnaires.
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Selfreport on 3 questions:
A All in all, how much happiness would you say you find in life today......?
3 a great deal
2 some but not very much
1 almost none
B In general, how would you say you feel most of the time, in good spirits or in low spirits.....?
1 I am usually in low spirits
2 I am sometimes in good spirits, sometimes in low spirits
3 I am mostly in good spirits
C On the whole, how satisfied are you with your way of life today.....?
4 very satisfied
3 fairly satisfied
2 not very satisfied
1 not satisfied at all
Items selected by Guttman scaling.
- Author's label:
- Satisfaction with life
- Almost symmetric: 1952: 51% satisfied, 49% dissatisfied, 1954: 43% satisfied, 57% dissatisfied
Break satisfied/dissatisfied not reported
- Page in publication:
- Error estimates:
- Reproducibility: +.96, Error ratio : +.55
Actual changes in happiness