Stephens (1988): study CA 1978
- Stephens, T.
- Physical Activity and Mental Health in the United States and Canada: Evidence from Four Population Surveys.
- Preventive Medicine, 1988, Vol. 17, 35 - 47
- 15+ aged, Canada, 1978-1979
- Probability simple random sample
- N = 23791
- Non Response:
- Questionnaire: web
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Selfreport on 10 questions:
"During the past few months, have you ever felt.....
A Particularly excited or interested in something?
B So restless that you couldn't sit long in a chair?
C Proud because someone complimented you on something you had done?
D Very lonely or remote from other people?
E Pleased about having accomplished something?
G Depressed or very unhappy?
H That things were going your way?
I Upset because someone criticized you?
Answer options and scoring:
-Positive Affect Score (PAS): A+C+E+I
-Negative Affect Score (NAS): B+D+F+H+J
-Affect Balance Score (ABS): PAS minus NAS
Possible range: -15 to +12
Name: Bradburn's 'Affect Balance Scale' (standard version)
- Author's label:
- Mental Health Measures
- Page in publication:
- Observed distribution
- 1: 0%, 2: 0%, 3: 0%
- Summary Statistics
- On original range -15 - 12 On range 0-10