Smits et al. (1995): study NL 1992
- Smits, C.H.; Bosscher, R.J.; Deeg, D.J.
- Well-being and control in older persons: The prediction of well-being from control measures.
- Intenational Journal of Aging and Human Development, 1995, Vol. 40, 237 - 251
- Elderly, Sassenheim, the Netherlands, 1992
- Probability simple random sample
- N = 119
- Non Response:
Interview and additional questionnaires
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Selfreport on 10 questions:
"During the past few weeks, did you ever feel ....?"
A Particularly excited or interested in something?
B So restless that you couldn't sit long in a chair?
C Proud because someone complimented you on something
you had done?
D Very lonely or remote from other people?
E Pleased about having accomplished something?
G On top of the world?
H Depressed or very unhappy?
I That things were going your way?
J Upset because someone criticized you?
Answer options and scoring:
4 very often
-Positive Affect Score (PAS): A+C+E+G+I
-Negative Affect Score (NAS): B+D+F+H+J
-Affect Balance Score (ABS): PAS minus NAS
Possible range: -15 to +15
Name: Bradburn's 'Affect Balance Scale' (adapted version)
- Author's label:
- Translation by authors.
Balance score is mean score on all items.
- Page in publication:
- Error estimates:
- Cronbach alpha = .64
- Observed distribution
- 1: 0%, 2: 0%, 3: 0%, 4: 0%
- Summary Statistics
- On original range -15 - 15 On range 0-10