print

Studies

Saad (2004): study US 1981 /1

Publication

Author(s):
Saad, L.
Title:
A Nation of Happy People. Most Happy and Satisfied with Their Lives.
Source:
Gallup Poll News Services, 5 January 2004, Gallup Organization, Washington DC, USA

Investigation

Public:
18+ aged, general public, United States, 1981
Survey name:
Gallup poll
Sample:
Probability multistage stratified area sample
Respondents:
N = 1000
Non Response:
3
Assessment:
Interview: face-to-face

Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings

Full text:
Selfreport on single question:

In general, are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way things are going in your own personal life?
1  dissatisfied
2  satisfied
Classification:
O-SLP-g-sq-v-2-b
Observed distribution
Frequencies
1: 16%,   2: 81%   (total 97%)
Summary Statistics
On original range 1 - 2 On range 0-10
Mean:
1.84 7.58
SD:
0.37 2.08
Full text:
Selfreport on single question:

Generally speaking, how happy would you say you are.....?
3   very happy
2   fairly happy
1   not too happy
Classification:
O-HL-g-sq-v-3-d
Observed distribution
Frequencies
1: 10%,   2: 43%,   3: 46%   (total 99%)
Summary Statistics
On original range 1 - 3 On range 0-10
Mean:
2.36 7.56
SD:
0.66 1.76