Ruvolo (1998): study US Detroit 1987
- Ruvolo, A.P.
- Marital Well-Being and General Happiness of Newlywed Couples: Relationships across Time.
- Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 1998, Vol. 15, 470 - 489
- Newly wed couples, USA, followed one year 1987-1988
- Survey name:
- Unnamed study
- Probability systematic sample
- N = 634
- Non Response:
In the first wave of study, they were interviewed seprately face to face. In the second wave, it is interviewd via telephone.
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Self report on single question:
Taking all together, how happy would you say you are these days?
10 step version of the rating scale
3 very happy
2 pretty happy
1 not too happy
Labels on this 10 step version not reported
- Author's label:
- General Happiness
- Assessed at T1 shortly after marriage and T2 one year later
T1: wives M= 3.56, sd= ,5, Husband M= 3,49, SD=,54
T2: Wives, M= 3,52, sd= ,56, Husband, M= 3,51, SD= ,52
- Page in publication:
- Observed distribution
- Summary Statistics
- On original range 1 - 10 On range 0-10
- 3.59 2.88
- 0.52 0.58
Later expectation to maintain marriage