Pesznecker & McNell (1975): study US Washington 1970
- Pesznecker, B.L.; McNell, J.
- Relationship among Health Habits, Social Assets, Psychologic Well-Being, Life Change and Alterations in Health Status.
- Nursing Research, 1975, Vol. 4, 442 - 447
- 18+ aged, general public, Renton, Washington, USA, 197?
- N = 536
- Non Response
- 55%; 185 unattainable, 12 incomplete, 412 refusals.
Questionnaire: Paper & Pencil Interview (PAPI)
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Self report on 8 questions:
"Here is a list that describes some of the ways people feel at different times. How often do you feel each of these ways?"
A Very lonely or remote from other people
B Depressed or very unhappy
D So restless you couldn't sit long in a chair
E Vaguely uneasy about something without knowing why
F On top of the world
G Particularly excited or interested in something
H Pleased about having accomplished something
Positive Affect Score (PAS): summed scores on F, G, H
Negative Affect Score (NAS): summed scores on A, B, C, D, E
Affect Balance Score (ABS): PAS minus NAS
Possible range -10 to +9
Name: Bradburn's `Affect Balance Scale' (modified version)
- Author's label:
- Psychological well-being.
- Observed distribution
- Summary Statistics
- On original range -10 - 9 On range 0-10
- 3.98 5.70
- - -