Peil (1984): study SL 1981
- Peil, M.
- African Urban Life: Components of Satisfaction in Sierra Leone.
- Social Indicators Research, 1984, Vol. 14, 363 - 384
- Adult, general public, urban areas, Sierra Leone, 1981
- N = 640
- Non Response:
- 5% (on some items up to 60%)
- Interview: face-to-face
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Selfreport on single question:
How do you feel about your life as a whole?
Rated on a seven step quality of life ladder was marked with a smiling face and marked ''GOOD'. The bottom marked with a frowning face and the word 'BAD'
[ 7 ] Good, picture of smiling face
[ 6 ]
[ 5 ]
[ 4 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 1 ] Bad, picture of frowning face
(Pictures not reproduced here)
- Author's label:
- Quality of life
- Observed distribution
- 1: 0%, 2: 0%, 3: 0%, 4: 0%, 5: 0%, 6: 0%, 7: 0%
- Summary Statistics
- On original range 1 - 7 On range 0-10
- 4.70 7.70
Rural vs urban dwelling
Attitudes to social support received
Attitude to urban life
Attitudes to family-life