Payne (1975): study GB 1972
- Payne, R.L.
- Recent Life Changes and The Reporting of Psychological States.
- Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 1975, Vol. 19, 99 -103
- Employed males, supervising jobs, England, 197?
- N = 192
- Non Response:
- 4% incomplete.
Interview and questionnaire administered at home.
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Selfreport on 13 questions:
"During the past four weeks have you ever felt....?" (yes/no)
A Pleased about having accomplished something.
B Things going my way.
C Proud because someone complimented me on something I
D Particularly excited or interested in something I had done.
E On top of the world.
F A deep sense of joy.
G Pleased because my life feels orderly and secure.
I Very lonely and remote from other people.
J Jealous of somebody.
K Angry with someone.
L Disappointed in myself..
M Unhappy about the small number of times I have pleasant
feelings and experiences.
If yes: How often did you feel so?
5 every day
4 several times a week
3 once a week
2 2 or 3 times a month
1 once a month
- Positive Affect Score (PAS): Average A to G
- Negative Affect Score (NAS): Average H to M
- Affect Balance Score (AB): PAS minus NAS
Possible range: +42 tot -30
Name : Bradburn's "Affected Balance Scale' (modified version)
- Author's label:
- Psychological well-being.