Palmore & Luikart (1972): study US 1968
- Palmore, E.B.; Luikart, C.
- Health and Social Factors Related to Life Satisfaction.
- Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 1972, Vol. 13, 68 -80
- 46+ aged, whites, North Carolina, USA, 1968-70
- Probability stratified sample
- N = 502
- Non Response
One whole-day interviews, tests and examinations.
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Self report on single question:
Here is a picture of a ladder. Suppose we say that the top of the ladder (9) represents the best possible life for you and the bottom (0) represents the worst possible life for you. Where on the ladder do you feel personally stand at the present time?
[ 9 ] best possible life for you
[ 8 ]
[ 7 ]
[ 6 ]
[ 5 ]
[ 4 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ] worst possible life for you
Name: Cantril's self anchoring ladder rating of life (adapted version)
- Author's label:
- Life satisfaction.
- Page in publication:
- Observed distribution
- Summary Statistics
- On original range 0 - 9 On range 0-10
- 7.00 7.80
- 1.50 -
Current total social participation