Palisi & Canning (1983): study ZZ Western nations 1977
- Palisi, B.J.; Canning, C.
- Urbanism and Social Psychological Well-Being: A Cross-Cultural Test of Three Theories.
- The Sociological Quarterly, 1983, Vol. 24, 527 - 543
- Males, metropolitan areas, England, USA, Australia, 1977-1980
- Probability systematic sample
- N = 752
- Non Response:
- 67 %
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Selfreport on 10 questions:
"During the past week, did you ever feel.....?"
A So restless that you could not sit long in a chair
B Proud, because someone had complimented you
C Very lonely or remote from people?
D Pleased about having accomplished something
F On top of the world?
H That things were going your way?
I Upset because someone criticized you?
J Could not do anything, simply because you could not start?
Answer options and scoring:
- yes = 1
- no = 0
Positive Affect Score (PAS): summed scores on B,D F,H
Negative Affect Score (NAS): summed scores on A,C,E,G,I,J
Affect Balance Score (ABS): PAS minus NAS
Possible range -6 to +4
Name: Bradburn's `Affect Balance Scale' (adapted version)
- Author's label:
- Social-psychological well-being