Oshio (2011): study JP 2007
- Oshio, T.
- Gender Differences among Elderly Japanese: Importance of Family and Social Relations for Life Satisfaction.
- RIETI Discussion Paper Series 11-E-051, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry, JAA, (RIETI), Hitotsubashi University, 2011, Japan
- 50-75 aged, Japan, 2007
- Survey name
- Probability multistage stratified area sample
- N = 3063
- Non Response
Multiple assesment methods
The respondents were asked to fill in the leave-behind questionnaire and nterviewed on a later day.
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Self report on single question:
Generally speaking, are you satisfied with your life or not?
3 somewhat satisfied
2 somewhat dissatisfied
- Author's label:
- Life satisfaction
- Original four point scale for life satisfaction was adapted to three point scale by combining the lowest two categories into one.
Originally coded 1: satisfied 4: dissatisfied. This order was reversed in the analysis
- Page in publication:
- Observed distribution
- 1: 0%, 2: 20%, 3: 50%, 4: 30% (total 100%)
- Summary Statistics
- On original range 1 - 4 On range 0-10
- 3.10 6.98
- 0.70 1.94
Married vs widowed
Married vs divorced
Living with parents