Mitchell (1985): study US 1974
- Mitchell, J.
- Family Helping Behavior and the Elderly: A Two-Dimensional Approach.
- Free Inquiry in Creative Sociology, 1985, Vol. 13, 21 - 26
- 65+ aged, with children, USA, 1974
- Probability sample (unspecified)
- N = 2147
- Non Response:
Multiple assesment methods
The Affect Ballance Scale (Bradburn 1969) The Neugarten life satisfaction scale.
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Self report on 10 questions:
During the past few weeks, did you ever feel ....? (yes/no)
A Particularly excited or interested in something?
B So restless that you couldn't sit long in a chair?
C Proud because someone complimented you on something
you had done?
D Very lonely or remote from other people?
E Pleased about having accomplished something?
G On top of the world?
H Depressed or very unhappy?
I That things were going your way?
J Upset because someone criticized you?
Answer options and scoring:
yes = 1
no = 0
-Positive Affect Score (PAS): A+C+E+G+I
-Negative Affect Score (NAS): B+D+F+H+J
-Affect Balance Score (ABS): PAS minus NAS
Possible range: -5 to +5
Name: Bradburn's 'Affect Balance Scale' (standard version)
- Author's label:
- Psychological well-being
- Error estimates:
- Correlation with Life Satisfaction Index Z (Wood et al. 1969). r=+.61