Isaacowitz & Smith (2003): study DE Berlin 1990
- Isaacowitz, D.M.; Smith, J.
- Positive and Negative Affect in Very Old Age.
- Journal of Gerontology, 2003, Vol. 58b, 143 - 152
- 70-100+aged, Germany, 1990-1993.
- Survey name:
- DE-Berlin Aging Study
- Probability stratified sample
- N = 516
- Non Response:
Apart from some clinical medical assessments, all testing was carried out in the participant's place of residence (e.g., private home, nursing home, hospital) by trained research assistants and physicians. 75%of the participants resided in their own homes; 14% resided in institutions.
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Selfreport on 20 questions.
This scale consists of a number of words that describe different feelings and emotions. Read each item and mark the appropriate answer in the space next to that word. Indicate to what extend you felt this way during the past few weeks?
1 very slightly or not at all
2 a little
4 quite a bit
Negative affect score (NAS): A to J
Positive affect score (PAS): K to T
Affect Balance Score (ABS): PAS - NAS
Name: Watson et al's PANAS ('past few weeks' version)
- Author's label:
- Affect Balance computed by WDH team, subtracting average Positive Affect (3.3) from Negative Affect (2.3 ) for young old and subtracting average Positive Affect (3.0) from Negative Affect (2.2) for old old.
- Page in publication:
- Observed distribution
- 1: 0%, 2: 0%, 3: 0%, 4: 0%, 5: 0%
- Summary Statistics
- On original range -40 - 40 On range 0-10