Halman et al. (1987): study GB Northern Ireland 1981
- Halman, L.C.; DeMoor, R.A.; Heunks, F.J.; Zanders, H.
- Traditie, Secularisatie en Individualisering. (Tradition, Secularization and Individualisation- a Study into the Values of the Dutch within a European Context
- Tilburg University Press, 1987, Tilburg, Netherlands
- 18+ aged, general public, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom, 1981
- Survey name:
- INT-WorldValuesSurvey 1
- Probability multistage stratified area sample
- N = 312
- Non Response:
- Interview: face-to-face
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Self report on 10 questions:
During the past few weeks, did you ever feel ....? (yes/no)
A Particularly excited or interested in something?
B So restless that you couldn't sit long in a chair?
C Proud because someone complimented you on something
you had done?
D Very lonely or remote from other people?
E Pleased about having accomplished something?
G On top of the world?
H Depressed or very unhappy?
I That things were going your way?
J Upset because someone criticized you?
Answer options and scoring:
yes = 1
no = 0
-Positive Affect Score (PAS): A+C+E+G+I
-Negative Affect Score (NAS): B+D+F+H+J
-Affect Balance Score (ABS): PAS minus NAS
Possible range: -5 to +5
Name: Bradburn's 'Affect Balance Scale' (standard version)
- Page in publication:
- Observed distribution
- Summary Statistics
- On original range -5 - 5 On range 0-10
- 1.86 6.86
- 2.10 -