Hacker & Gaitz (1969): study US 1966
- Hacker, S.L.; Gaitz, C.M.
- The Moral Career of the Elderly Mental Patient.
- Gerontologist, 1969, Vol. 9, 120 - 127
- Aged mental patients, 1 year after admission, USA, 1966
- N = 36
- Non Response:
- 66% drop-outs: 33% dead, 17% could not be located, 16% inco-herent or refusal.
using open-ended questions, spaced one year apart.
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Selfreport on 10 questions:
During the past few weeks, did you ever feel ....? (yes/no)
A Particularly excited or interested in something?
B So restless that you couldn't sit long in a chair?
C Proud because someone complimented you on something
you had done?
D Very lonely or remote from other people?
E Pleased about having accomplished something?
G On top of the world?
H Depressed or very unhappy?
I That things were going your way?
J Upset because someone criticized you?
Answer options and scoring:
yes = 1
no = 0
-Positive Affect Score (PAS): A+C+E+G+I
-Negative Affect Score (NAS): B+D+F+H+J
-Affect Balance Score (ABS): PAS minus NAS
Possible range: -5 to +5
Name: Bradburn's 'Affect Balance Scale' (standard version)
- Author's label:
- Psychological well-being.
Before and after entrance
Before and after leave