print

Studies

Gwanfogbe et al. (1970): study CM 1965

Publication

Author(s):
Gwanfogbe, P.N.; Furrow, J.L.; Schumm, W.R.; Smith, M.
Title:
Polygyny and Marital Life Satisfaction: An Exploratory Study from Rural Cameroon.
Source:
Journal of Comparative Family Studies, 1970, Vol. 28, 55 - 71

Investigation

Public:
Mothers of young child, rural areas, Cameroon, 196?
Sample:
Probability multistage stratified area sample
Respondents:
N = 300
Non Response:
37%
Assessment:
Interview: face-to-face

Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings

Full text:
Selfreport on single question:

Are you happy with your life?
2  yes
1  no
-   don't know
Classification:
O-HL-u-sq-v-2-a
Author's label:
Life satisfaction
Page in publication:
60
Observed distribution
Frequencies
1: 9.7%,   2: 90%   (total 99.7%)
Summary Statistics
On original range 1 - 2 On range 0-10
Mean:
1.90 8.95
SD:
0.30 5.93

Correlational Findings

Author's label Subject Description Finding Wife order Position in polygamous marriage
Own position in household
Marital satisfaction Satisfaction with marriage Husband's supportiveness Support by spouse
Shared household-tasks
Housing Quality of current dwelling Household equipment Current possessions Literacy Literacy Education Level of school-education Age of mother Current age (in years) Age of husband Current characteristics of spouse Number of children living Number of children