Graney (1975): study US 1967
- Graney, M.J.
- Happiness and Social Participation in Aging.
- Journal of Gerontology, 1975, Vol. 30, 701 - 706
- 62-89 aged females, followed 4 years, USA, 1967-71
- N = 44
- Non Response
- 27%; 24% unattainable, 3% incomplete.
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Self report on 10 questions:
During the past few weeks, did you ever feel ....? (yes/no)
A Particularly excited or interested in something?
B So restless that you couldn't sit long in a chair?
C Proud because someone complimented you on something
you had done?
D Very lonely or remote from other people?
E Pleased about having accomplished something?
G On top of the world?
H Depressed or very unhappy?
I That things were going your way?
J Upset because someone criticized you?
Answer options and scoring:
yes = 1
no = 0
-Positive Affect Score (PAS): A+C+E+G+I
-Negative Affect Score (NAS): B+D+F+H+J
-Affect Balance Score (ABS): PAS minus NAS
Possible range: -5 to +5
Name: Bradburn's 'Affect Balance Scale' (standard version)
- Author's label:
- Slightly positively skewed: 30% happy, 45% neutral, 25% unhappy (in 1971).
Change in amount of organizational participation
Change in total social participation