Goodwin & Hernandez Plaza (2000): study ZZ Various nation sets 1999
- Goodwin, R.; Hernandez Plaza, S.
- Perceived and Received Social Support in Two Cultures: Collectivism and Support among British and Spanish Students.
- Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 2000, Vol. 17, 282 - 291
- University students, England and Spain, 1999
- Non-probability purposive sample
- N = 140
- Non Response
Questionnaire: Paper & Pencil Interview (PAPI)
Respondents were students from the University of Bristol (Great Britain) and the University of Almeria (Spain), who completed the questionnaire to fulfil course credit requirements.
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Self report on 4 questions:
Using the 1-5 scale below, indicate your agreement with each of the items by placing the appropriate number on the line preceding that item. Please be open and honest in your responding.
A In most ways my life is close to ideal
B The conditions of my life are excellent
C I am satisfied with my life
D So far, I have gotten the important things I want in life
5 strongly agree
4 slightly agree
3 neither agree nor disagree
2 slightly disagree
1 strongly disagree
Name: Shortened Diener's Satisfaction with Life Scale (SWLS)
(In the original scale item 5 reads: 'If I could live my life over, I would change nothing'. This item is left out in this selection because a positive answer to this question does not necessarily mean that the respondent doesn't like the life he/she actually lives.)
- Author's label:
- Life satisfaction
- Mean values in the samples under study:
British sample: M =3.51; SD = 0.82
Spanish sample: M =3.31; SD = 0.79
- Page in publication:
- Error estimates:
- British sample: Cronbach's alpha=0.83 Spanish sample:Cronbach's alpha=0.84