Goodwin & Hernandez Plaza (2000): study ZZ Various nation sets 1999
- Goodwin, R.; Hernandez Plaza, S.
- Perceived and Received Social Support in Two Cultures: Collectivism and Support among British and Spanish Students.
- Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 2000, Vol. 17, 282 - 291
- University students, England and Spain, 1999
- Non-probability purposive sample
- N = 140
- Non Response:
Respondents were students from the University of Bristol (Great Britain) and the University of Almeria (Spain), who completed the questionnaire to fulfil course credit requirements.
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Selfreport on four questions:
Using the 1-5 scale below, indicate your agreement with each of the items by placing the appropriate number on the line preceding that item. Please be open and honest in your responding.
A In most ways my life is close to ideal
B The conditions of my life are excellent
C I am satisfied with my life
D So far, I have gotten the important things I want in life
5 strongly agree
4 slightly agree
3 neither agree nor disagree
2 slightly disagree
1 strongly disagree
Name: Shortened Diener's Satisfaction with Life Scale (SWLS)
(In the original scale item 5 reads: 'If I could live my life over, I would change nothing'. This item is left out in this selection because a positive answer to this question does not necessarily mean that the respondent doesn't like the life he/she actually lives.)
- Author's label:
- Life satisfaction
- Mean values in the samples under study:
British sample: M =3.51; SD = 0.82
Spanish sample: M =3.31; SD = 0.79
- Page in publication:
- Error estimates:
- British sample: Cronbach's alpha=0.83 Spanish sample:Cronbach's alpha=0.84