print

Studies

Gallup (2008): study US 2008

Publication

Author(s):
Gallup,
Title:
Gallup Brain: Archive of Gallup polls since 1935
Source:
The Gallup Organization, USA

Investigation

Public:
18+ aged, general public, United States, 2008
Survey name:
Gallup poll
Sample:
Probability multistage stratified area sample
Respondents:
N = 1010
Non Response:
Assessment:
Interview: telephone (CATI)

Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings

Full text:
Selfreport on single question:

Generally speaking, how happy would you say you are.....?
3   very happy
2   fairly happy
1   not too happy
Classification:
O-HL-g-sq-v-3-d
Observed distribution
Frequencies
1: 7.69%,   2: 46.3%,   3: 45.02%   (total 99.01%)
Summary Statistics
On original range 1 - 3 On range 0-10
Mean:
2.38 7.59
SD:
0.62 1.68
Full text:
Selfreport on single question:

In general, are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way things are going in your own personal life?
1  dissatisfied
2  satisfied
Classification:
O-SLP-g-sq-v-2-b
Observed distribution
Frequencies
1: 18.36%,   2: 80.07%   (total 98.43%)
Summary Statistics
On original range 1 - 2 On range 0-10
Mean:
1.81 7.46
SD:
0.39 2.18
Full text:
Selfreport on single question:

Overall, how satisfied are you with your life.....?
4  very satisfied  
3  somewhat satisfied  
2  somewhat dissatisfied  
1  very dissatisfied.
Classification:
O-SLu-u-sq-v-4-f
Observed distribution
Frequencies
1: 4.78%,   2: 8.77%,   3: 39.75%,   4: 46.26%   (total 99.56%)
Summary Statistics
On original range 1 - 4 On range 0-10
Mean:
3.28 7.47
SD:
0.82 2.10