print

Studies

Gallup (1998): study US 1998

Publication

Author(s):
Gallup,
Title:
Have and Have-Nots: Perceptions of Fairness and Opportunity - 1998. Special Report.
Source:
Gallup Poll News Service, 6 July 1998, Washington DC, USA

Investigation

Public:
18+ aged, general public, United States, 1998
Survey name:
Gallup poll
Sample:
Probability multistage stratified area sample
Respondents:
N = 5001
Non Response:
0
Assessment:
Interview: telephone (CATI)

Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings

Full text:
Selfreport on single question:

In general, are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way things are going in your own personal life?
1  dissatisfied
2  satisfied
Classification:
O-SLP-g-sq-v-2-b
Remarks:
Only percent satisfied reported. Assumed that DKNA is 1%
Observed distribution
Frequencies
1: 14%,   2: 85%   (total 99%)
Summary Statistics
On original range 1 - 2 On range 0-10
Mean:
1.86 7.71
SD:
0.35 1.95
Full text:
Selfreport on single question:

Generally speaking, how happy would you say you are.....?
3   very happy
2   fairly happy
1   not too happy
Classification:
O-HL-g-sq-v-3-d
Observed distribution
Frequencies
1: 5%,   2: 50%,   3: 45%   (total 100%)
Summary Statistics
On original range 1 - 3 On range 0-10
Mean:
2.40 7.56
SD:
0.58 1.79