Francis & Bolger (1994): study GB 1990
- Francis, L.J.; Bolger, J.
- Personality and Psychological Well-Being in Later Life.
- The Irish Journal of Personality, 1994, Vol. 18, 444 - 447
- 55-85 aged retired civil servants, UK, 1990
- Non-probability accidental sample
- N = 50
- Non Response:
- Questionnaire: paper
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Selfreport on 10 questions:
During the past few weeks, did you ever feel ....? (yes/no)
A Particularly excited or interested in something?
B So restless that you couldn't sit long in a chair?
C Proud because someone complimented you on something
you had done?
D Very lonely or remote from other people?
E Pleased about having accomplished something?
G On top of the world?
H Depressed or very unhappy?
I That things were going your way?
J Upset because someone criticized you?
Answer options and scoring:
yes = 1
no = 0
-Positive Affect Score (PAS): A+C+E+G+I
-Negative Affect Score (NAS): B+D+F+H+J
-Affect Balance Score (ABS): PAS minus NAS
Possible range: -5 to +5
Name: Bradburn's 'Affect Balance Scale' (standard version)
- Author's label:
- Bradurn Balanced Affect Scale
- Page in publication:
- Error estimates:
- The positive affect and the negative affect are uncorrelated (r = -.05; ns)