Feather & O'Brien (1986): study AU 1980
- Feather, N.T.; O'Brien, G.E.
- A Longitudinal Study of the Effects of Employment and Unemployment on School-Leavers.
- Journal of Occupational Psychology, 1986, Vol. 59, 121 -144
- School-leavers, Australia, followed 2 years,1980-1982
- N = 5446
- Non Response
- T2: 25%, T3: 34%
Questionnaire: Paper & Pencil Interview (PAPI)
Mailed orr administered in the schools.
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Self report on 4 questions:
How do you see yourself in general....?
A 'happy' to 'sad',
B 'elated' to 'depressed',
C 'tensed' to 'relaxed'
D 'satisfied' to 'dissatisfied'.
Scoring: each item scored on bi-polar 7 step numerical scale.
Summation: scores added; possible range 4-28
- Author's label:
- Depressive affect.
- Scores reversed (in original report high scores indicated unhappiness)
Scores at T3
Employed : M = 11,60 Ms = 6.50
Unemployed: M = 9,91 Ms = 5,80
- Page in publication:
- Error estimates:
- Reliability: Equivalence: employeds _ = +.75 unemployeds _ = +.80 Validity:
- Observed distribution
- Summary Statistics
- On original range 4 - 28 On range 0-10
- 1132.00 6.38
- - -