Easterlin (1974): study ZZ 1957
- Easterlin, R.A.
- Does Economic Growth Improve the Human Lot? Some Empirical Evidence.
- David, P.A.;Melvin, W.R.;Eds.: "Nations and Households in Economic Growth", Academic Press, 1974, New York, USA, 89 - 125.
- Adults, general public, 14 nations, 1957-1962
- Selection from general population sample
- N = 18653
- Non Response:
By native interviewer
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Self report on single question:
Here is a picture of a ladder. Suppose we say that the top of the ladder represents the best possible life for you and the bottom represents the worst possible life for you. Where on the ladder do you feel you personally stand at the present time?
[ 10 ] best possible life
[ 9 ]
[ 8 ]
[ 7 ]
[ 6 ]
[ 5 ]
[ 4 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ] worst possible life
Preceded by 1) open questions about what the respondent imagines as the best possible life and the worst possible life. 2) ratings on the ladder of one's life five years ago and where on the ladder one expects to stand five years from now.
Name: Cantril's self anchoring ladder rating of life (original)
- Author's label:
- Rating of personal happiness (0 - 10)
- Page in publication:
- Observed distribution
- Summary Statistics
- On original range 0 - 10 On range 0-10
- 5.00 5.00
- - -