Costa et al. (1981): study US 1958
- Costa, P.T.; McCrae, R.R.; Morris, A.H.
- Personal Adjustment to Aging: Longitudinal Prediction from Neuroticism and Extraversion.
- Journal of Gerontology, 1981, Vol. 36, 78 - 85
- 17-97 aged males, visitors of the Gerontology Research Centre, followed ± 10 years Baltimore, USA. 1958-70
- N = 117
- Non Response:
- Attrition 79% at T3, mostly among psychologically least adjusted
Filled in during visit at Research Centre.
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Self report on single question:
How do you feel about what you have accomplished in life...?
3 well satisfied
2 reasonable satisfied
- Author's label:
- Satisfaction with accomplishments
- Error estimates:
- Retest reliability : - T1-T2 (average 5.3 years) r= +.49 (001) - T1-T3 (average 12.6 years) r= +.46 (001)
Long term happiness (< 10 years ago)
Scores on symptom inventories
Earlier psycho-somatic complaints