Cherlin & Reeder (1975): study US Los Angeles County, California 1972
- Cherlin, A.; Reeder, L.G.
- The Dimensions of Psychological Well-Being: A Critical Review.
- Sociological Methods and Research, 1975, Vol. 4, 189 -214
- Adults, general public, Los Angeles County, USA, 1972-1973
- N = 1000
- Non Response:
- 20% in 1972 and 23% in 1973.
- Questionnaire: paper
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Selfreport on 10 questions:
During the past few weeks, did you ever feel ....? (yes/no)
A Particularly excited or interested in something?
B So restless that you couldn't sit long in a chair?
C Proud because someone complimented you on something
you had done?
D Very lonely or remote from other people?
E Pleased about having accomplished something?
G On top of the world?
H Depressed or very unhappy?
I That things were going your way?
J Upset because someone criticized you?
Answer options and scoring:
yes = 1
no = 0
-Positive Affect Score (PAS): A+C+E+G+I
-Negative Affect Score (NAS): B+D+F+H+J
-Affect Balance Score (ABS): PAS minus NAS
Possible range: -5 to +5
Name: Bradburn's 'Affect Balance Scale' (standard version)
- Author's label:
- Psychological well-being.
- Error estimates:
- Reliability: Equivalence: positive affect score by negative affect score: r = -.07 (01) in 1972 r = -.09 (01) in 1973. Validity:
Perceived need for social support