Calvo et al. (2007): study US 1992
- Calvo, E.; Haverstick, K.; Sass, S.
- What Makes Retirees Happier: A Gradual or 'Cold Turkey' Retirement?
- MPRA Paper No. 5607, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College, 2007, USA
- Eldery, United States, followed through retirement 1992-2004
- Selection from general population sample
- N = 2389
- Non Response:
- 25%; from 3022 (fully retired in 2004) to 2389.
- Questionnaire: paper
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Selfreport on 5 questions:
Now think about the past week and the feelings you have experienced. Please tell me if each of the following was true for you much of the time past week. Much of the time ..
A You were happy
B You enjoyed life
C Yoy felt lonely
D You felt depressed
E You felt sad
Computation of state: latent variable
- Author's label:
- Latent affect
- Score: A/2+B/2-C/3-D/3-E/3. Maximum: +1; Minimum: -1.
CHANGE in Happiness:
Measurement of CHANGE in happiness (affect) between last assessment during full-time employment and first assessment during full-time retirement. Per item: no change is 0; a postive change is +1 and a negative change is -1. Theoretical individual range for this change is -5- to +5.
- Page in publication:
- Observed distribution
- 1: 0%, 2: 0%
- Summary Statistics
- On original range -1 - 1 On range 0-10
- 0.29 6.47
- 0.23 1.15
Attitudes to retirement
Death of an intimate