Burger & Veenhoven (2016): study CO 2007
- Burger, M.; Veenhoven, R.
- Trend in level and dispersion of happiness in nations 2006-2015’: Is there a difference between the affective and cognitive component?
- EHERO working paper 2016/1
- 15+ aged, general public, Colombia, 2007
- Survey name:
- Probability multi-stage random
- N = 1000
- Non Response:
- Interview: face-to-face
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Self report on 10 questions:
A Did you feel well-rested yesterday?
B Were you treated with respect yesterday?
C Did you smile and laugh a lot yesterday
D Did you learn or do something interesting yesterday?
Did you experience the following feelings during A LOT of the day yesterday?
E How about enjoyment?
F How about physical pain?
G How about worry?
H How about sadness?
I How about stress?
J How about anger?
- Average % positive affect = (A+B+C+D+E)/5
- Average % negative affect = (F+G+H+I+J)/5
- Affect Balance = Average % positive affect - Average % negative affect
Transformation to range 0-10:
(Score[range-100-100] + 100)/200*10
These questions do not measure hedonic level of affect of individual persons adequately, since yesterday's mood does not always correspond with typical average mood. Yet these questions can be used for measuring hedonic level in aggregates, such as nations, since individual variations balance out in big samples.
Transformation to 0-10 scale: (percent abs)*0.05 + 5
- Observed distribution
- Summary Statistics
- On original range -100 - 100 On range 0-10
- 52.00 7.60
- - -