Brickman et al. (1978): study US 1977 /1
- Brickman, P.; Coates, D.; Janoff-Bulman, R.
- Lottery Winners and Accident Victims: Is Happiness Relative?
- Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 1987, Vol. 36, 917 - 927
- Lottery players, USA and non-player controls, Illinois, USA, 1977
- N = 86
- Non Response:
- Interview: telephone (CATI)
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Self report on single question:
"How happy are you now (not at this moment, but at this stage of life) .....?"
1 not at all
6 very much
(originally rated on horizontal line scale)
- Author's label:
- Buyers: M=3.81 Ms'=7.62
Non-buyers: M=4.00 Ms'=8.00