Berman (1972): study US 1972
- Berman, J.J.
- Parolees' Problems, Aspirations and Attitudes.
- Dissertation, Northwestern University Evanston, 1972, Illinois, USA
- Jail mates on parole, Illinois, USA, 197? Followed 9 month
- Non-probability accidental sample
- N = 89
- Non Response:
Interviews could be completed in a half-hour, though the vast majority took well over an hour. Subjects elaborated. Mostly face-to-face interviews at the parolee's place of residence, while some took place in restaurants or bars and about 10 took place over the phone.
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Selfreport on single question
Taking everything together, how happy are you with the way things are going in your life now?
6 completely satisfied
5 pretty much satisfied
4 slightly satisfied
3 slightly dissatisfied
2 pretty much dissatisfied
1 completely dissatisfied
- Author's label:
- Respondents were first asked to pick between "Dissatisfied" and "Satisfied", then between "completely", "pretty much" and "slightly".
- Page in publication:
- Observed distribution
- 1: 11%, 2: 11%, 3: 15%, 4: 12%, 5: 34%, 6: 17% (total 100%)
- Summary Statistics
- On original range 1 - 6 On range 0-10