Andrews (1991): study US 1980
- Andrews, F.M.
- Stability and Change in Levels and Structure of Subjective Well-Being: USA 1972 and 1988.
- Social Indicators Research, 1991, Vol. 25, 1 - 30
- Adults, general public, USA, 1972-1988
- N = 2985
- Non Response:
1972: face to face interview 1988: telephone interview
Happiness Measure(s) and Distributional Findings
- Full text:
Selfreport on single question, asked twice in interview:
How do you feel about your life as a whole......?
5 mostly satisfied
3 mostly dissatisfied
Summation: arithmetic mean
Name: Andrews & Withey's "Delighted-Terrible Scale" (original version)
Also known as Lehman's 'Global life satisfaction'
- Author's label:
- Life 3, global well-being
- 1972: M= 5.4 Ms'= 7.3 1988: M= 5.8 Ms'= 8.0
Satisfaction with own accomplishments