- 15+ aged, general public, 55 nations, 1974-1976
- N = 8433
- Non Response:
Conducted by Gallup bureaus in different countries.
- Authors's Label
- Coercion by government
- Our Classification
- Related specification variables
- Degree of government coercion rated on the basis of the following criteria:
1. the extent to which civil rights are violated;
2. the extent to which political
opposition is oppressed;
3. how undemocratic the policy is.
Data drawn from Feierabend & Feierabend (1972:160) and Bertrand (1981:195).
Observed Relation with Happiness
Australia 7.0 1.0
North America 6.7 1.0
Western Europe 6.3 2.3
Latin America 6.0 3.3
of the Sahara) 4.6 5.5
Asia (exc. Japan) 3.8 3.3
Japan 5.8 3.0