- Lottery winners, paralyzed accident victims, and controls, Illinois USA, 1977
- N = 73
- Non Response
Structured, interview also by phone
- Authors's Label
- Being an accident victim
- Our Classification
- Accident victims vs major lottery winners and controls.
1. Accident victims: 11 paraplegic and
18 quadraplegic accident victims,
drawn from the fulltime patient
population of a rehabilitation
N=29, non-response 15%.
2. Lottery winners: won $50000 or more
in Illinois State Lottery.
N=22, non-reponse 48%.
3. Controls: 22 individuals, living in
approximately the same areas of the
city as the lottery winners.
N=22, non-reponse 41%.
Observed Relation with Happiness
Lottery winners: M=4.00 Mt'=8.00
Controls: M=3.82 Mt'=7.64
Both difference with lottery winners and controls significant.
Accident victims interviewed face-to-face; winners and controls by phone.