- Adults, general public, Hartsville/Trousdale County, Tennessee, USA, 1975
- N = 288
- Non Response:
- Authors's Label
- Perceived effects ofnuclear plants new in town
- Our Classification
- Likelyhood scores: all happy unhappy
- Ss were shown a list of 27 events that might accompany the construction or operation of a nuclear plant at five miles of the centre of the town. The likelyhood of these events was rated as a 7-point scale ranging from (1) 'certain' to (7) impossible'.
1. Social disruption: a.o. traffic congestions, more bars, crowding in schools, increasing noise, crime, drugs problems, increasing taxes and housing shortage.
2. Health hazards: a.o. radiation, and air-pollution.
3. Increased business: a.o. more stores, more public entertainment, etc.
4. Outside attentions: a.o. public recognition of the town and the town becomes a tourist attraction.
5. Individual economic benefit: a.o. increased land value, more jobs, better paying jobs and better schools.