- 23-59 aged English speaking, Toronto and Ontario, Canada, 198?
- N = 1038
- Non Response
- Questionnaire: Paper & Pencil Interview (PAPI)
- Authors's Label
- Locus of control
- Our Classification
- Related specification variables
- Single closed question rated on a 5-point scale: How much control do you feel you have over the important events in your life: almost total control / mostly under my control / about half the time I can control the important events / mostly not under my control / almost no control.
Observed Relation with Happiness
gender, age, household income, marital status, being in love, desire to change dating pattern or marital status, social support (1. instrumental: problems managing money, deciding how to spend money, not enough money to do things, unsatisfying job, not enough money to get by on; 2. expressive: no close companions, no one to depend on, unsatisfying sex life, problems communicating, dissatisfied with marital status, not enough close friends, no one to show love/affection, too dependent on others, not having children, no one to understand problems; 3. interpersonal demands:
too many responsibilities, no one to depend on, too many demands on time, problems communicating, problems with children, problems with spouse/ex-spouse, conflicts with those who are close), and satisfaction with: job and financial situation, friendships, love relationships and living situation.
NON-MARRIED Ss ONLY:
- males: r = +.19 ß = +.09
- females: r = -.04 ß = -.07
Beta's controlled for the same variables as above, except marital status and gender.