- 23-59 aged English speaking, Toronto and Ontario, Canada, 198?
- N = 1038
- Non Response:
- Questionnaire: paper
- Authors's Label
- Desire to maintain dating pattern or marital status)
- Our Classification
- Related specification variables
- Single closed question rated on a 2-point scale: Would you change your present dating pattern or marital status if you could:
Observed Relation with Happiness
gender, age, household income, marital status, being in love, locus of control, social support (1. instrumental: problems managing money, deciding how to spend money, not enough money to do things, unsatisfying job, not enough money to get by on; 2. expressive: no close companions, no one to depend on, unsatisfactory sex liofe, problems communicating, dissatisfied with marital status, not enough close friends, no one to show love/affection, too dependent on others, not having children, no one to understand problems;
3. interpersonal demands: too many responsibilities, no one to depend on, too many demands on time, problems communicating, problems with children, problems with spouse/ex-spouse, conflicts with those who are close) and satisfaction with: job and financial situation, friendships, love relationships and living situation.
NON-MARRIED Ss ONLY:
- desire to change: Mt = 6.7
- maintain present situation: Mt = 8.1
Difference significant (001)
- males: r = -.28 ß = -.02
- females: r = -.24 ß = -.02
Beta's controlled for the same variables as above
except gender and marital status.