- Elderly, British Columbia, Canada, 2005
- N = 656
- Non Response
Questionnaire: Paper & Pencil Interview (PAPI)
Replication of a similar survey in 1999
- Authors's Label
- Mental health
- Our Classification
- Mental health subscale of SF-36 health questionnaire (Ware 1992). Item e inflates correlation with happiness
- Selfreport on 5 questions:
During the last four weeks
a. have you been a very nervous person?
b. have you felt so down in teh dumps nothing could cheer you up?
c. have you felt calm and peaceful?
d. have you felt downhearted and blue?
e. have you been a happy person?
6: all of the time (100%)
1: none of the time (0%)
Observed Relation with Happiness
- social support
- crime-related worries
- difficulty meeting housing costs
- % of income spent on housing cost
- satisfaction with:
- living partner
- romantic relationships
- feeling part of community
- financial security
- government officials
- sense of meaning of life
- achievements in life
- future society
-vitality (Beta +.17)
-social functioning (Beta +.22)
(30% of variance explained)
-romantic relationships (+.13)
-feeling part of community (+.12)
-future security (+.20)
(48% of variance explained)