- Female college students, Radcliff USA, followed 6 weeks, 1957
- N = 21
- Non Response:
Mood diary kept 30 days.
- Authors's label
- Receptivity towards the world
- Our Classification
- Repeated closed question on 'how inte- rested and responsive you felt to what was going on around you', rated on a 10-point scale:
10. Passionately absorbed in the
world's excitement. My sensations
and feelings incredibly intensi-
9. Tremendously stimulated. Enormously
8. Senses lively. Great interest and
delight in everything around me.
7. Open and responsive to my world and
6. Moderately interested and fairly
5. Slightly disinterested and unres-
4. Bored. Life pretty monotonous and
3. Dull and apathetic. Almost no inte-
rest or desire for anything.
2. Mired down in apathy. My only desi-
re is to shut out the world.
1. Life is too much trouble. Sick of
everything, want only oblivion.
Scale scored each night for the highest, lowest and average experience of the day.
(Wessman & Ricks Receptivity towards and Stimulatiton by the World Scale)
Observed Relation with Happiness
Daily highest : r = +.66 (05)
Daily average : r = +.78 (05)
Daily lowest : r = +.63 (05)