Study Wessman & Ricks (1966): study US 1957
- Female college students, Radcliff USA, followed 6 weeks, 1957
- N = 21
- Non Response
Mood diary kept 30 days.
- Authors's Label
- Love and sex
- Our Classification
- Repeated closed question on 'the extent to which you felt loving and tender, or sexually frustrated and unloving', rated on a 10-point scale:
10. Feel the rapture of full, joyous
and complete love.
9. Tremendous gratification, delight,
love, and trust.
8. Warm sharing of intimacy and affec-
7. Pleasant companionship and some af-
fection. Sharing interests and good
6. Fairly satisfying experience or ex-
pectations. Some mutual interest
5. Not much feeling of mutual under-
standing. Some lack of interest.
4. Little feeling of relationships.
Considerable indifference. Modera-
3. Feel unable to maintain good rela-
tionships. Unloved. Much frustra-
2. Hurt, bewildered, incapable of
loving or being loved. Vast amount
1. Hopeless, cold, unloved and un-
Scale scored each night for the high- est, lowest and average experience of the day.
(Wessman & Ricks Love and Sex Scale)
Observed Relation with Happiness
daily scores were correlated with the mean daily
average score on the Elation-Depression Scale
( AFF 3.1) during 6 weeks
daily highest: r = +.23 (05)
daily average: r = +.22 (05)
daily lowest : r = +.15 (ns)