Study Wessman & Ricks (1966): study US 1957
- Female college students, Radcliff USA, followed 6 weeks, 1957
- N = 21
- Non Response
Mood diary kept 30 days.
- Authors's Label
- Fulness vs emptinessof life
- Our Classification
- Repeated closed question on 'how emo- tionally satisfying, abundant or empty, your life felt today', rated on a 10-point scale:
10. Consumate fulfillment and abundance
9. Replete with life's abundant good-
8. Filled with warm feelings of con-
tentment and satisfaction.
7. My life is ample and satisfying.
6. Life seems fairly adequate and re-
5. Some slight sense of lack, vague
and mildly troubling.
4. My life seems deficient, dissatis-
3. Life is pretty empty and barren.
2. Desolate, drained dry, impoverish-
1. Gnawing sense of emptiness, hollow-
Scale scored each night for the highest, lowest and average experience of the day.
(Wessman & Ricks Fullness vs Emptiness of life Scale)
Observed Relation with Happiness
Daily highest : r = +.60 (05)
Daily average : r = +.88 (05)
Daily lowest : r = +.69 (05)