- Distributions of happiness in nations, as observed in representative samples of the
- Only findings based on survey questions, that validly tap an individual's 'overall
appreciation of his own life-as-a-whole'.
Coverage at 1-5-2015
- about 10.000 distributions in 164 nations between 1945-2015.
- Responses to equivalent questions in 151 nations 2000-2009
- Time series for 15 countries of twenty years and more.
- All first and (former) second world countries, and also data from some third world
- Fairly complete up to 2014
- Happiness indicator: full text of survey questions.
- Statistics: frequency distribution in %, mean and standard deviation. Comparison is
facilitated by transformation of all scores to range 0-10.
- Number of respondents, non-response.
- Bibliographics: author, title, year of publication, page reference.
- Survey name: name of survey program or institute, location of datafile.
Extra facilities in full database (not on this site, available on request in MS-Access)
- More detail about sampling and interogation
- Additional cross-national data on happiness in special groups (children, students, aged
- References to research reports and datasets
- Text of questions in other languages than English
- Weights used in transformation of responses to scales using verbal response options to numerical range 0-10
Back to start page of World Database of Happiness , collection of Happiness in Nations